How does Eye/Animal Eye autofocus work?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Lumsden
David Lumsden Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
How does Eye/Animal Eye autofocus work?

In another thread on this forum, the OP complained about AF tracking issues when he is shooting his puppy running straight at him. He mentions, among other things, attempting to use Eye Detect and Animal Eye Detect without satisfactory results. My sense of those focus modes was that they were not primarily action tracking modes, but more for portraiture and perhaps street photography. Most of the articles I was able to find on these modes seemed to agree with my assumption. In my naïve fashion, I assumed that the camera “brain” would have more to do in identifying and tracking an eye than it would with simply targeting the nearest object. And more tasks to perform would equal slower AF.

But then that got me wondering how these two special focus modes actually work. They would seem to be some sort of AI function which, if true, would support my “overworked CPU” theory. I googled the subject and found any number of citations describing the functions and praising them, but virtually nothing that told me how the camera actually performs this small miracle. I’m still looking for a solid reference and I’m also posting here to see if anyone has any insight on this question.

Your thoughts...

David Lumsden's gear list:David Lumsden's gear list
Olympus Air Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow