Gels, Xplor 400/600 Pro & Collapsible Softboxes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FuzzyKeys Regular Member • Posts: 246
Gels, Xplor 400/600 Pro & Collapsible Softboxes

Hey all,

I am interested in incorporating more gelled lighting into my shots, but I am having a hard time figuring out how best to gel my monolights when I am using them with my Glow EZ Lock collapsible softboxes. I have seen a number of methods for gelling monolights in softboxes but none of them are ideal with my light/softbox combinations.

There are two main problems.

#1) On the Xplor lights, the glass encasing the flash tube is non-removeable and protrudes past the speedring, so gelling the mount is not easily doable.

#2) Attaching gels to the inner diffuser would require a large amount of gel material and the Glow inner diffusers do not fully cover the light source, so a lot of white light would be mixed in.

Then I stumbled onto these custom made gels by flashgels.com. They make laser cut gels that attach directly to the glass dome with a heat resistant band. The gels have holes that line up with the vents to allow heat to escape. My problem with these are that they are expensive, they will only work on one light, and they do not offer a large assortment of colors. However, the design is not that difficult to reverse engineer.

My question is do I need to use the "high temperature" variety of Lee and Rosco gels if I am attaching them directly to the glass like this? Lee makes HT gels and Rosco makes "supergels" that are supposed to be more resistant to heat. Will their regular gels melt if used that way?

FuzzyKeys's gear list:FuzzyKeys's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow