Is it possible to get the same 2:1 magnification with a longer working distance?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 7,686
Re: Is it possible to get the same 2:1 magnification with a longer working distance?

DavesPainStream wrote:

What type of teleconverter are you using ? I had thought about trying this out as a test on my 80mm modified macro lens 2:1 macro and also my 100mm canon L macro lens but could have sworn seeing somewhere that it said the canon 100mm L macro will not work with a teleconverter

I am using a Kenko C-AF 2X TelePlus Pro 300 teleconverter. (I have the EF mount version of the Laowa 100mm 2X macro, and the teleconverter is also EF mount, and is connected to the Sony A7ii with a Sigma MC-11 EF-E adapter. Information passes correctly from the lens and teleconverter to the camera - the Laowa 100mm 2X is f/2.8 to f/22. Mounted with the 2X teleconverter it operates and shows in the EXIF data as expected as 200mm, f/5.6 to f/45.

This compatibility chart from Canon shows the 100L macro as not compatible with Canon's own teleconverters (its Extenders).

The chart also shows the Canon MPE-65 as not compatible with Canon's Extenders. The MPE-65 is compatible with the Kenko teleconverters I am using. Just to be sure I mounted the MPE-65 on a Kenko C-AF 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 teleconverter. It operates and shows in the EXIF data as expected as 91mm f/4 to f/22.

These Kenko teleconverters work as expected with my Laowa 25mm 2.5-5X macro lens and Meike 85mm 1.5X macro lens (nothing in the EXIF data in these cases as the lenses have no data connections) and with the Sigma 105mm DG Macro HSM (natively 105mm, f/2.8 to f/22, with the Kenko 1.4X teleconverter it operates and shows in the EXIF data as expected as 147mm, f/4 to f/32, and autofocus works.

I'm afraid I don't have a Canon 100mm L Macro and so I don't know whether it would work or not with the Kenko teleconverters. However, given that these other lenses do work, I think perhaps it might, especially given that the MPE-65 works. But that is only a guess.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow