External HDD or SSD for backups?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,886
Re: External HDD or SSD for backups?

Fred Colon wrote:

Yes it would be good to get actual failure rate data rather than rely on what you read on forums. In my experience forums are full of people complaining about things and those with no problems seldom post just to say 'My widget works really well without any problems.'

My hard drives work really well without any problems.   But I still don't trust them.   To some extent the relative reliability is a moot point, because ultimately you can't trust any digital media, therefore you need backups, therefore you're covered if a certain piece of media fails.

So IMHO it's a wash from a data protection perspective.   And I think the overall reliability is good enough that it's not even worth worrying about from a lost time perspective, at least for the casual user.  If lost time is important to you then you need to be using redundancy for your online media, and again that pretty much makes relative reliability a non-issue.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow