External HDD or SSD for backups?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Fred Colon Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: External HDD or SSD for backups?

Sean Nelson wrote:

Fred Colon wrote:

..continuously writes a log file to the SD Card evey few seconds ( unless you know and disable it). After 18 months of this it stopped working as the SD card had to many errors. A new card was the only solution to get it going again.

Because of this I have the OS in my PC running from an SSD and all data that needs frequent creation and modification on HDD.

It's a good idea to avoid SSD for heavily write-intensive files, but desktop drives are a lot more robust than SD cards because they're usually powered on for a much larger percentage of their lifespan. During idle periods the SSD's controller scans for marginal storage pages and rewrites or reallocates them. You also have the ability to look at the state of the drive's SMART counters to keep track of degradation before it becomes a real problem.

The underlying flash technology is the same for both SSD and SD cards.  Controllers for each may well differ.  Its more likely that SSD controllers implement wear leveling but its not certain that all SD card manufacturers will do this.

I don't think the fact that SSD cards are more robust because they are powered on more than SD cards is true.  In fact they would last longer if not powered on

Fred Colon's gear list:Fred Colon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow