Ipv4? Ipv6?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,611
Ipv4? Ipv6?

In the last few days I set up a pfSense firewall (along with a bunch of other stuff).  I followed some instructions on how to set it up for ipV6, and eureka!  Just like that I had a mostly-working dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network.

I'd tried this a long time ago (2011, world IPv6 day), but back then I had to do a 6-to-4 tunnel (Hurricane Electric).   It was somewhat of a pain, but I got some it working, mostly.

Not so hard now.   All I had to do was to re-enabled it on my Windows pc's and I had full IPv6 access to the Internet.   Nice! (Nice because it was so easy.  I would have implemented it with my new wifi router if I hadn't done it with the firewall.)

I also have some web servers, including one that hosts my web site (URL below).  With some DNS work along with proxy forwarding I have that working dual stack as well, though I am using a leased address from the ISP.

Kind of wondering how the rest of the world is doing in regards to IPV6.   I put a little IPV6 notifier in my browser bar, and it's surprising how many big sites (like this one) are still IPv4.

I don't notice any particular difference between IPv4 and IPv6 except in one interesting area - intrusion detection.   My firewall is showing blocked traffic at the WAN port, and I'm quite used to seeing that sort of somewhat-depressing traffic.   But it is all IPv4, and that got me wondering.

One of the strengths of IPv6 is that there are so many IP addresses available that nobody can just start spamming them all.   That random stuff just isn't showing up.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow