Photo Storage - Raid System

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fairfaxian Regular Member • Posts: 255
Photo Storage - Raid System

I just purchased my first RAID storage system - G-Drive 28TB Thunderbolt-3 - With a 2 Drive array (2x14Tb drives). This is for a MacPro system -single user.

If I understand this correctly:

Raid 0 offer highest capacity & speed with no redundancy. Like a standard external drive.

Raid 1 mirrors all data to both drives -providing full redundancy, with a capacity of 14Tb -as all data is mirrored to 2 drives (28Tb total capacity).

I'm not sure on this, but I think that if I have purchased a 4-5 drive array, that I would actually have more unique storage -even if the total capacity was the same 28Tb. And I seem to recall that I could actually store about 3/4 (roughly) of the total capacity - ?

Can any photo tech / IT guru's clarify this? Thanks.

(I have a stack of G-Drives going back about 15 years. Until now, I have purchased new single drives of increasing capacity, but not all the data (images) has been stored redundantly. The plan was to copy everything on the new safer RAID system, and still have plenty of space for new data) I suspect that a 4 drive system would have offered more storage with the same total capacity.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow