Sony convert?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Teuchter G Junior Member • Posts: 48
Sony convert?

I'm thinking of moving to Sony from my Olympus MFT kit. To get a feel for the form factor and IQ I bought the cheapest Sony I could find - a second hand A7Mk1 on eBay and an adaptor to mount my old Olympus OM film lenses. The plan is that if I like it I]ll trade it in for a more recent model (A7Rii or A7iii probably)

The good news is that IQ is everything I'd hoped. And with the tiny OM lenses not too much of a shock weight-wise compared to my MFT kit.

The bad news is, unexpectedly, the quality of the viewfinder and rear LCD displays, both of which are frankly poor, especially the LCD  outdoors in sunlight. It's effectively 100% glare and unusable. I've boosted brightness but that then loses the huge adanatage of mirrorless which is WYSIWYG viewing. The EVF has other problems namely the positioning and size of the settings display - very small and dim compared to the image. I can barely read the EV compensation scale.

So my first and most important question is: Has the display improved in the more recent versions of the A7? Is the LCD more visible in sunlight and is the EVF easier to read?

Finally, I've read very mixed reviews of the 24-70 F4 lens. The f2.8 is too big/heavy (and too expensive!) So how does the 24-70 F4 compare to the 28-70 kit lens. Is it worth upgrading to the F4 or would I be better buying a couple of Samyang primes instead?

Teuchter G's gear list:Teuchter G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Sony a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow