Nikon DF: Dear Feelings

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chunbumpark New Member • Posts: 10
Nikon DF: Dear Feelings

I have owned a used Nikon DF for over a year and a half. I think I will never use another camera other than a DF or a DF 2, if it will ever come out (although sometimes I am tempted by a Leica M camera).

It's a full frame retro-style camera with mechanical dials and controls. It looks beautiful and unique. It's such a joy to turn the mechanical dials and the aperture ring on the lens (which can be enabled in the camera settings).

I prefer the Nikon Df to a Fujifilm XT-3 because of the internal mirror mechanism and an optical viewfinder (as opposed to an EVF). It's just feels more analog and a more authentic way to do photography.

I feel that using auto focus or any of the other automated features on the camera makes taking photos less meaningful for me.

Even if it's slower for me to adjust the settings manually, I choose manual operation because putting in the effort to do things manually is so enjoyable and meaningful - even if this means I will have a smaller chance at snapping a great shot at quickly passing moments. The style of photography that I pursue is slow and manual. Every bit of sweat and tears put into producing a single photograph makes it that much more meaningful to me.

I even ordered a focusing screen (Df Ec-B Focusing Screen) to replace the original focusing screen, so that I can do what people could do with a traditional SLR in terms of manual focusing.

When I first got into Photography, I didn't understand why people would want to do everything manually. By using a Nikon Df, I am finally understanding the tactile experience and joy of doing manual photography because analog trumps digital in that digital doesn't feel as real as analog.

In this sense, Nikon Df makes photography more real and responsive to my desire to be engaged with the real world. Digital is an illusion. Digital fusion is the fusion with reality and an analog approach to perceiving and interacting with reality.

I have dear feelings when I look at the Nikon Df and when I use it. Thank you for reading my review of the Nikon DF!

Shot with the Nikon Df and 50 mm f/1.8D lens, on August 9th, 2020.

Nikon Df
16 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Nov 5, 2013
chunbumpark's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow