Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
metaldood Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Sigma 100-400 / Tripod socket

Photo Pete wrote:

ShenYL wrote:

metaldood wrote:

https://smile.amazon.com/Neewer-Long-Focus-Photography-Compatible-Arca-Swiss/dp/B07YJCBT7P looks like a decent solution?

Another point to note, is that the support must be in front of the Centre of Gravity, else you will not be able to balance the lens+camera - see the insert.

The Sigma lens collar support area is very near the lens end and you must use any place further from the collar rubber ring.

Other than weight and size and positioning, this should work well.

Cheers.

Personally, if someone can afford a £3400 A7Riv and £899 Sigma 100-400 I don’t see the problem with just buying the official Sigma £130 lens collar and foot rather than cheaping out and spending £30-£40 on one of these makeshift solutions. They seem bulky and don’t support the lens as easily or efficiently when switching between portrait and landscape mode.
Not criticising the ingenuity of the solution, I just don’t see the £130 as a big barrier given the disposable income which is evident from being able to buy the lens and camera in the first place.

If the lens didn’t have a collar and foot available for it at all then that would be a completely different matter.

I have seen this logic being applied on almost all gear forums. That is if you buy an expensive piece of equipment(for which there is no other option depending on specs) then that person automatically should buy the most expensive accessories for it. It's good to have options. Also it's subjective to put an actual price on the tripod collar as for some it might not be worth $130 for just a collar when alternatives can be made to work. I have used expensive camera gear over the years but my accessories have all been 1/10 the price of the RRS/Gitzo brands. Neweer/Sunfoto have never failed me.

metaldood's gear list:metaldood's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow