Posterization on Macro Shots... Need Help!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
charley5 Senior Member • Posts: 2,162
Posterization on Macro Shots... Need Help!

Hi Everyone:

For the macros below I used a Sony A7ii and a modified rodenstock heligon 95mm F/0.95, as well as a couple of extension tubes. This was my first outing for macros with this lens so it was kind of experimental. I shot uncompressed raw.

I like the dreamy look. But I noticed there was significant posterization with most of the shots, which was even visible (although much less so) in the raw files. I couldn't figure out whether it was because of the lens properties, or the lack of illumination in the background, or because of the file format, or because this is certainly a very low contrast lens? It was certainly more visible in the jpgs particularly after I bumped up the brightness. The lens itself has a lot of aberrations so maybe it is a combination of these issues.

However, I used uncompressed raw files to eliminate this issue so I am quite surprised that it occurred.

The last two images below are examples of this problem.

Any ideas as to how I can deal with it? I also have the A7riii but uncompressed raw is uncompressed raw.

Thanks for any suggestions regarding this issue,

-Charles

charley5's gear list:charley5's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow