Processing with Work Space

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 6,489
Processing with Work Space

Is Oly Viewer 3 now phased out since I dont see a download link for it anymore?

When processing RAW files from Work Space, I see some differences vs shooting L SF directly with the camera. The main thing is that the file sizes are about half! When I shoot L SF in camera I get file sizes of between 8-10 MB. When I shoot RAW (14 MB) and use Work Space to apply the same JPG settings to the RAW file and output an L SF image from that RAW, the file size is only 5 MB! By comparison, EXIF-TIFF files are around 45 MB (larger if I select the 16 bit option- but is that even necessary since Oly RAW aren't 16 bit?) Is L SF processed from RAW using a different compression ratio? (It is even less than L F out of the camera!) I saw another thread where other users mentioned seeing the same thing. I used a third party RAW converter (FastStone) and saw the same result- I couldn't get my processed files to be any larger than about 5 MB.

Another question I had about Work Space is that I now see options for Live Composite in the software where I can do both "light stacking and "dark stacking." Am I correct in assuming that this software now allows my non Live Composite cameras like the E-PL6 to do Live Composite now if I process with this software in the same way that my later cameras that do have the feature do it? That would be nice! I also see that I can do focus stacking with it, which means users with cameras that dont do in camera stacking like my EM10Mk2 can use this software for that also!

One downside of Work Space that I found is that I can only download it on one computer for each camera serial number.  For example- I have two computers, one desk top and one laptop.  I wanted to have it on each computer.  I downloaded it to my desk top first using my EM10Mk2 serial.  I tried to use the same serial when I tried to download it on my laptop and it came up as "invalid serial."  Have others seen this kind of thing too?  So I then was able to use my E-PL6 to download it to my laptop.  Does this mean if something happens and I have to reformat either hard drive I wont be able to redownload the software again?  Maybe I should save a copy of the .exe on an external drive just in case?

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Olympus PEN E-PL6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow