External HDD or SSD for backups?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Fred Colon Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: External HDD or SSD for backups?

The flash technology inside SSD drives has characteristics that limit the number of write operations that can take place before failures occur. Wear leveling algorithims minimise writing to the same blocks but even so the write life time can be very much shorter than an HDD.

I have a first hand example of this in my Kodi Multimedia machine which is based on a Raspberry Pi. It uses an SD card in place of a hard drive. Due to the way Kodi works it continuously writes a log file to the SD Card evey few seconds ( unless you know and disable it). After 18 months of this it stopped working as the SD card had to many errors. A new card was the only solution to get it going again.

Because of this I have the OS in my PC running from an SSD and all data that needs frequent creation and modification on HDD.

I don't recommend "external" HDDs at all based on what I often see in PC Talk.

What I recommend is a USB dock that accepts standard desktop SATA HDDs. That way any failure of the USB hardware won't affect your existing backups; the dock is easily and cheaply replaced, and you can back up multiple HDDs in rotation and have most of your backup HDDs safely off-line.

I'm afraid I don't accept this.  If you think the usb hardware in the drive enclosure is going to fail then it's probably just as likely the SATA interface in the drive will fail.  Plug in docks in my opinion are more likely to fail because of the increased number of mechanical connections - especially if they are plugged in/out reguarly.

But whatever works for you

Fred Colon's gear list:Fred Colon's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow