4K HQ = 8K Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jonpais
OP jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,924
Re: 8K is marketing hype

Although I disagree, I feel your passion! 👌You're apparently unaware that 8K televisions are HDR.

Several years ago, I became enamored of HDR and vigorously campaigned on its behalf. But at the time, HDR monitors cost $35,000 and were only practical for high-end post production houses; the least expensive box to connect an iMac to an external HDR monitor ran $4,000; and few full frame cameras shot 10-bit 4:2:2 internally, if any! In addition to which, the workflow at the time was insanely difficult. But HDR has caught on: now, there is an abundance of HDR content, all full frame mirrorless cameras shoot 10-bit, I/O boxes sell for as little as $1,000 and HDR televisions, which can be used as grading monitors, are available for under $1,500.

The same cannot be said for 8K, which will not catch on for a decade or more. Dolby invented the first HDR display thirteen years ago. Yet most in the forums still don't have an HDR television! And YouTubers are reluctant to upload videos in HDR because they say none of their viewers will watch them. hehe Unbelievably, the same goes for 4K. The cost to studios, theaters, advertisers, production houses and streaming services would be prohibitive, and the effect of the global economic downturn will be felt for over a decade. Nearly no one has an 8K television, HDR grading monitor (remember, 8K televisions are HDR!), or a computer that can even play back the footage.

$4,000 for a usable camera if one is ever released; thousands more for CFExpress cards (pros can't get by with a tiny 128GB card!); another few thousand for the computer and hard drives; a couple thousand dollars more for the television - not many filmmakers are prepared to make such a foolhardy investment. And your videos will not be seen by anyone in 8K anyhow! Blackmagic's solution is more elegant for sure, but they're the only manufacturer that designs the sensor, the camera, the codec and the NLE. No Japanese manufacturer can boast the same. Now, if only Sigma were to make an fp 8K! 😊

The whole industry is in turmoil. Studios, networks and streaming services have no idea when shooting can begin again. Recovery will be slow and painful.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow