HDR PQ ??

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JELSTUDIO
JELSTUDIO Regular Member • Posts: 109
HDR PQ ??

So I have been reading this article: https://snapshot.canon-asia.com/india/article/en/hdr-pq-heif-breaking-through-the-limits-of-jpeg

And everytime I open Canon DPP it has this little info-window about HDR PQ being a new thing.

Is this a marketing-gimmick or what?

If the sensor have about the same dynamic-range on the 5D3, then why can't we get this 'new' HDR look on raw-pictures from that camera?

On the link above they clearly show the differences between the 2 photo-formats in normal 8-bit, which leads me to think this is more to get people to buy new cameras rather than something that is impossible to achieve on the 5D3 (And similar cameras)

Can anybody shed some light on this 'new' HDR PQ thing and why we can't export photos from the 5D3 with this new 'look' added to the photos (When the raw files should not really be much different in dynamic range from the cameras that support this new feature)

To me it seems like it's mostly just like adding a LUT to the photo and calling it 'HDR PQ' to sound 'smart'. But is there something more happening that can explain why the 5D3 photos can not be used and exported from DPP with this look?

Thanks.
jacob.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow