Lens Hood on Tele ?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,178
Re: Lens Hood on Tele ?

tirediron wrote:

There's no good reason (that I can think of) not to use a lens hood on every, single lens you own. Depending on your position with respect to the sun, time of day, etc, a hood will reduce glare and flare, as well as protect the lens, and it can definitely help increase contrast. I was walking on the beach a few years ago with a body and 70-200 on a strap over my shoulder; somehow the lens release was pushed and over time the lens worked it's way out and hit the rocky beach, right at the front, and at about a 45 degree angle (where no "protection" filter would have done anything). The polycarbonate lens hood cracked, but the lens didn't have a mark on it. Without the hood I am certain that at best, I would have been facing a LARGE repair bill, and worst, a $2500 lens would have become a paper-weight in a heartbeat.

I would send it in and have it checked I thought my 100-400 was good after it fell off my black rapid strap it took a couple of outings for me to notice the AF hit rate with that lens was off. Had to have the AF lens group  and IS replaced total cost 700.00 the lens did not have a scratch on it but the shock of hitting the ground still messed it up.

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow