The quirky Babson Boulders, between Gloucester and Rockport, Cape Ann, Massachusetts, USA

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,750
The quirky Babson Boulders, between Gloucester and Rockport, Cape Ann, Massachusetts, USA

Roger Babson was an economist who graduated from MIT and who may have correctly predicted the Great Depression. He remained fond of his boyhood wanderings chasing cows across Dogtown Commons, the last remnants of a settlement that dissipated after the end of the War of 1812 made the coast of Cape Ann safe again. Besides trying to find ways to shield us from gravity (Identifying several Nobel laureates before the committee did), he sought to inspire by carving pithy self improvement mottos on more than thirty granite boulders scattered across the Commons by the last ice age. This was seen as, err, erratic, to which he replied,

My family says that I am defacing the boulders and disgracing the family with these inscriptions, but the work gives me a lot of satisfaction, fresh air, exercise and sunshine,

in his autobiography, Actions and Reactions. Unsurprisingly, his presidential bid in 1940 was not successful. A good map and virtual tour of the boulders is available here. My own, more limited contributions, are below.

If work stops, vale’s decay

Study. Really study. The professor says to. “Be on time” is carved on the reverse.

Intelligence. A virtue. Notwithstanding current political discourse.

Comments welcomed.

-- hide signature --

Chris
A couple of Fuji cameras and assorted X-mount and adapted primes

CeeDave's gear list:CeeDave's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow