External HDD or SSD for backups?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rickpoole Senior Member • Posts: 1,193
Re: External HDD or SSD for backups?

When I got my 5 TB Toshiba internal drive a few years ago I also got two identical drives to use as alternating backups and a SATA USB 3.1 drive dock.  I use Genie Backup Manager Pro which makes it very easy to do mirror backups.  The first time I did backups to unused drives the backup drive was too hot to remove from the dock and I had to let it cool for 10 minutes.  Even doing a mirror backup to an existing backup drive sometimes got the drive too hot to handle.  So, I started putting a small fan right by the backup drive in the dock and it made a big difference - the drives were still quite warm but not too hot to handle as soon as the backups completed.

Eventually I noticed that Windows 10's default for removable drives is to disable write caching.  So, I did some research and found you can easily turn write caching on for a removable drive but you have to remember to eject the drive before you remove it from the dock less you loose data.  Turning write caching on and doing a full mirror backup to a freshly formatted drive dramatically reduced the temperature of the backup drive to the point it was just slightly warm after completing a mirror backup, plus it speed up the backups quite a bit.  So, theoretically by keeping the drives cooler they will last longer.

-- hide signature --
 rickpoole's gear list:rickpoole's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow