Nikon Lens Firmware

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Regular Member • Posts: 383
Nikon Lens Firmware

So I recently updated the firmware of my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8E VR FL lens with my two D5 bodies. However when I went to update my D4s, I found out that that is not possible. Which got me to thinking, is the camera being updated or is the actual lens being updated? As in will the updated firmware on the lens only work while attached to my D5 bodies or is the lens actually updated itself and will also work on the D4s? The only two lenses that Nikon makes firmware for are the 70-200mm and 180-400mm and there isn't much information on the subject and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can explain this to me or has any answers on this subject. I know Sigma and Tamron have those lens docks that actually upgrade firmware and AF info directly onto the lens so I'm assuming Nikon is doing the same, but I wasn't able to clarify wether it's lens based or camera based. Maybe you can only use certain newer camera's to actually install the lens firmware, but it's stored on the lens itself and works on other camera's not listed? I noticed on the firmware update page that you could send the lens into Nikon to have the update done, assuming you didn't have a compatible camera. However that does not definitively answer my question.

Nikon D4S Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow