Additional / better focus settings? Am I expecting too much?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djd97 Regular Member • Posts: 156
Additional / better focus settings? Am I expecting too much?

Lately I've been trying to photograph my small puppy (6lb~) running straight at me (from about 25 feet to about 8 feet). I've attempted this with a few different lenses (24-70 f/4s, 85 1.8s, 35 1.8g dx), and in all cases I find that the auto focus just can't quite keep up. I've tried all the AF-C focus modes. Maybe I'm just expecting more than what is reasonable, but I would like to know if there are any settings and/or tricks I should try.

I've tried face, eye, and animal detection as well as none. I've tried AF-C both on release and on focus. Live view on/off. I think my best results have been with animal detection, live view off, and AF-C on release, but those results are only marginally better and still result in a pretty low success rate. I've been staying around 1/1000+ and f/1.8 (for my 85/35) and compensating with ISO to minimize any shutter speed related issues. Obviously stopping down the lens would help a bit, but I'd like to keep it at 1.8 on my 85 (which is where I'm really focusing my attention).

P.s. I find that my results are better when I keep the shutter button half pressed and wait until I see perfect focus (and hoping I time it right) before taking the shot as opposed to just sitting on high / high+.

djd97's gear list:djd97's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow