Lens Hood on Tele ?

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,862
Re: Lens Hood on Tele ?

tirediron wrote:

There's no good reason (that I can think of) not to use a lens hood on every, single lens you own. Depending on your position with respect to the sun, time of day, etc, a hood will reduce glare and flare, as well as protect the lens, and it can definitely help increase contrast. I was walking on the beach a few years ago with a body and 70-200 on a strap over my shoulder; somehow the lens release was pushed and over time the lens worked it's way out and hit the rocky beach, right at the front, and at about a 45 degree angle (where no "protection" filter would have done anything). The polycarbonate lens hood cracked, but the lens didn't have a mark on it. Without the hood I am certain that at best, I would have been facing a LARGE repair bill, and worst, a $2500 lens would have become a paper-weight in a heartbeat.

I had almost the exact  same thing happen to me. I was walking along a sidewalk and my camera with a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II slipped off my shoulder and smashed into the concrete. The lens hood split, but the camera and lens were completely undamaged.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow