RF800 f/11 with Extension tube

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 218
RF800 f/11 with Extension tube

So I wanted to address a specific issue I had with the RF800 lens. My backyard is small and I have relatively people friendly birds where they will land closer to me than the 20ft minimum focusing distance of the lens. So I got a 35mm extension tube to try. You will see by looking at the images below that using the extension tube increase the size of the subject enough that it is worth using. Also it knocked the minimum focusing distance down to 15ft. This is also very significant. While I can no longer focus to infinity using the tube, it will still get out there pretty good - in the 80-100 ft range. I did notice slightly less contrast and a tiny bit of chromatic aberration in the yellows but I was able to clean up in Photoshop. The tube combo I tested, was just a cheap Amazon set which I am sending back. It is plastic body and 2 pieces that come up with the 35mm. I do not trust it long term and have already ordered a 1 piece 35mm all metal replacement. There is no advantage to the 2 smaller tubes stacked as there is not enough value in the shorter spacing and its just one more joint to add looseness to the assembly. If I'm going to hang a heavy $900 lens off of an extension tube, I want to know it's safe.

I think this option could be valuable to you if you are taking photos in a small backyard like I have or if you are woods walking where you are not going to get that far a visible target to shoot at anyways. This is definitely a very important addition to the lens for me and one I intend to use often.

Image without extension tube:

Image with Extension tube:

Bird Image with extension tube and full processing:

johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow