Back to Work with the EM1.2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,491
Back to Work with the EM1.2

The non-profit I work for has been shut down since mid-March due to covid 19. (I literally received my EM1.2 the day before all concerts for 3 months were cancelled). We finally reopened to the public, with limited hours and safety measures in place, with a gallery opening on August 6.

There is nothing remarkable or aesthetically engaging about this photo. It is, simply, reportage. Except to me, as it demonstrates some marked improvements over the EM1.1s I was using for years.

1. AF with a newly acquired 12-40 was notably faster and more accurate than with my EM1.1 and 12-60 4/3 lens. This was to be expected, but it was the accuracy that impressed me. The couple was constantly shifting position but the eye detect had no problem locking on.

2. A subtle difference many don't often think about: White Balance. This room is lit with high intensity incandescent bulbs but has daylight coming in through nearby windows and doors. Exposing for the lighting tends to eliminate most, but not all, of the bluish cast that comes from the daylight. I use auto WB for this room for that reason, to find the "middle ground" that I can tweak in PP. The EM1.2 delivered a WB that required none of the usual tweaking I would have to do on this scene with the EM1.1.

3. I don't have any pics to do a side by side, but trust me, the photos is noticeably sharper, lower noise and better DR than my EM1.1 photos in the same room and conditions. Without having to pixel peep.

4. SWEET, QUIET SHUTTER. Notice the newspaper photographer in the back with the FF Canon? He was standing next to me and asked me if I had a "special setting" for my camera to get such a quiet shutter. I said no. No, I wasn't going to try to engage in any sort of "M4/3 Proselytizing". He's a working pro who uses the gear he uses for good reason. He just admitted he'd never heard a shutter that quiet.
We are planning on restarting concerts (hopefully) in October: smalls ones that can accommodate seating with 6 feet separation. I'll be sure to start posting my concert pics again when (and if) that happens.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow