PL100-400 versatility

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,566
Re: PL100-400 versatility

Nice Trevor.  With all of the interest in the new Oly 100-400, your shots remind us why the PL 100-400 is so amazing.

Dale

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I was watching the Northrups video on the new Canon F11s. It's a very silly video as they try to compare the lenses with a Canon $15,000 dollar prime and using some crazy evaluation scheme come up with a tie. What it made me realise is just how good my PL100-400 is and just how versatile it is. Two days ago I was shooting insects, birds and aircraft at the same time with my PL100-400 which is a good example of why it is rarely off the camera.

It seems to me that versatility is not used as often as it might be in comparisons and if it was a lens like the PL100-400 would score very well.

Incidentally the mimimum focusing distance on the Canons rules out insects and even means that some of my birds are too close. As for 800mm fixed shooting aircraft the opportunities for filling the frame will be limited. The Canons 'may' have better IQ than the PL100-400 at F11 but on just about every other criteria, they would fail miserably.

These pics shot with G9, PL100-400 all within an hour.

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow