PL100-400 versatility

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,096
PL100-400 versatility

I was watching the Northrups video on the new Canon F11s. It's a very silly video as they try to compare the lenses with a Canon $15,000 dollar prime and using some crazy evaluation scheme come up with a tie. What it made me realise is just how good my PL100-400 is and just how versatile it is. Two days ago I was shooting insects, birds and aircraft at the same time with my PL100-400 which is a good example of why it is rarely off the camera.

It seems to me that versatility is not used as often as it might be in comparisons and if it was a lens like the PL100-400 would score very well.

Incidentally the mimimum focusing distance on the Canons rules out insects and even means that some of my birds are too close. As for 800mm fixed shooting aircraft the opportunities for filling the frame will be limited. The Canons 'may' have better IQ than the PL100-400 at F11 but on just about every other criteria, they would fail miserably.

These pics shot with G9, PL100-400 all within an hour.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow