External HDD or SSD for backups?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,376
Re: External HDD or SSD for backups?

a_c_skinner wrote:

I think that is good advice. I'd always assumed a USB drive, if cracked open, revealed a standard SATA drive that could be tried in a new enclosure. Apparently a lot don't so even if the drive is intact a failed one can be difficult to read. A USB enclosure plus a standard drive if you don't care to have naked drives lying around.

I store my backup drives in antistatic bags inside padded envelopes with the backup contents and date written on them.

Backup hardware does not need to be highly reliable because you will have a strategy (bascially several up to date copies stored off line) so a single or even duplicate failure won't affect all your data.

Yes, however, I want to know if anything in the backup system has a problem. So I always check the 'verify' box when doing Macrium image backups, and when I'm cloning backups I switch off the internal boot SSDs and boot from the cloned HDD to make sure the clone was successful.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow