4K HQ = 8K Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jonpais
OP jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,931
Re: 4K HQ = 8K

KLO82 wrote:

jonpais wrote:

A double blind study by Warner Brothers showed that most consumers can't tell the difference between 4K and 8K. Fun fact: most Hollywood movies are finished in 2K.

I have a hypothesis. Movies (shot at 24P) are not good at utilizing higher resolution brought by higher pixel counts. At 24P, there are already some smearing/ motion blur present almost all the time. Also in movies the main subjects shown on the screen are people who are moving and are often shot at wider apertures that do not produce very
high resolution. Videos shot and presented at 60P are much better at utilizing higher resolution. Also videos of places/ location shot at higher f number can show difference in resolution better than movies. Even though movies are presented in big screens, movies are not best for evaluating resolution. To me, high resolution videos (30P and more so 60P) almost always look sharper than Hollywood movies.

I'm pretty sure it's not just a theory but a fact that 60p will look crisper than 24p with it's motion blur. Any motion, and the resolution of 4K movies drops to somewhere in the neighborhood of 1080p according to Arri. But 24p is the standard for the motion picture industry because motion blur is one of the characteristics that makes pictures look cinematic. When watching at home on an OLED TV with its instantaneous response times however, slow panning shots at 24p can have distracting amounts of stutter or jerkiness. Some argue that 60p should be the standard for home theater.

Video Look

Cinematic Look ^^ (shot with $1,800.00 hybrid camera)

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow