Travel Tripod advise: Gitzo or other?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 171
Re: Travel Tripod advise: Gitzo or other?

Thanks for the detailed response.

3dwag wrote:
If you are OK with slightly longer folded length, the Gitzo GT1545T (4 sections instead of 5 sections)

Had not considered this tripod but given the Gitzo bag I would buy would also fit this tripod I would consider it.

and a Gitzo 3-Way Fluid Head

That seems like a poorly matched head for a travel tripod. It weighs nearly as much as the tripod itself, making your rig very top heavy, and will be bulky for packing.

What kind of shooting do you plan to do this this travel rig?

Long exposure/timelapse/landscape.  Currently own the Manfrotto 327RC2 Ball Head and the Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way (pretty sure it is this one) so was basing my preference off what I currently liked to use.  I did see the pan/tilt head was a heavier option.

The Center Column is an excellent resource who do empirical stiffness and damping tests;

Resource looks good, thanks.

I personally don't use these hooks much, finding the tripod "hammocks" do a better job of stiffening up and improving the vibration damping of your rig: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1038289-REG/oben_stb_10_stone_bag_for_tripods.html

Had not considered a hammock like this but it may be better suited to use to hold my bag.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow