Looking for a good vari ND that's not too expensive

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MacM545 Contributing Member • Posts: 582
Looking for a good vari ND that's not too expensive

Has anyone ever used one of these?

https://www.adorama.com/hahd422152.html?origterm=52mm+variable+nd&searchredirect=true

I have wondered about an ND that is, at least to some extent, versatile. I've already bought a 12 stop ND filter, but as many of you probably already know, that can easily be too dark for daytime long exposures- even though I wanted to make minimum length of about five seconds. Either that or I might get a solid ND instead, but not sure what density to get, probably somewhere between a 7 stop and an 11 stop. My main concern about ND faders was to mistakenly buy one with a non uniform darkening of the image, otherwise known as the X effect. I personally used an ND filter chart to try and figure it out for myself, but it's still a difficult task, to judge what might be the most versatile option. I took a12 stop ND for photos at the lake before- I was able to manage a range of about 1.5" to 30", depending on aperture, which for my lens F/1.4 to F/16 (the lens I might very likely use the most in the future and likely the only lens which might be used with ND). It was a fully sunny day at about 3 PM right in southern Michigan right about during mid July where I tested the capabilities of the setup; the reason for mentioning these details is that one can have an idea of how bright it was outside. but obviously the angle of the sun can vary so it's essentially made a very complex question.

Some helpful info

If 5 seconds to 30 seconds is the range of proper exposure (with a given aperture range) using a 12 stop ND filter using a given amount of brightness of a scene, then during the same scene brightness and given aperture range, a...

0.3125 seconds to 1.875 seconds exposure is possible with 8 stop ND while a 1.25 to 7.5 seconds exposure is possible with 10 stop ND.

MacM545's gear list:MacM545's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 500D Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow