Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC DN alignement repair?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Davi7d777
Davi7d777 Regular Member • Posts: 326
Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC DN alignement repair?

Purchased April 2019 from B&H one of the well reviewed Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC DN Contemporary lenses. Tested for sharpness and worked well for a month but then had an IC failure in a focusing feature. Sent the lens into Sigmaphoto dot com service which they repaired and sent back repaired late summer. I didn't use it much the rest of 2019 but noticed focusing issues that became worse this year as I began using it. Apparently there are loose lens element(s) inside that are increasingly causing a variable lack of focus in parts of a frame, especially the far left side. Like I also have apparent tilt on that side too. Possibly a result of opening it up for repair. At F8 it usually seems ok but at f5.6 and lower is quite noticeable. I manually focus stack landscapes in Zerene Stacker so any odd lack of focus in frames is very noticeable.   Note use on a 2014 pre-release bought A6000.

I will contact Sigmaphoto this Monday. Their lenses are warrantied for 2 years so mine is still under warranty. If they only agree to repair the lens again versus simply giving me a replacement, I'm suspicious the focus can be returned to the factory level of sharpness because such requires precision factory alignment I have doubts repair facilities possess with any lens makers.

Thus am asking the community whether lens repair facilities actually are set up to do such alignment repairs and if not what do they do for customers? I don't mind receiving a same used lens as long as it is sharp that I am well experienced at how to evaluate a lens for being so including actually USAF 1951 test charts. But given it is a sub $300 buck lens would rather just buy a new lens if they don't offer a replacement.

-- hide signature --

David

Davi7d777's gear list:Davi7d777's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow