OP jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,925
Re: 6.5K to 8K the new standard.

Willow w wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Willow w wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Willow w wrote:

Don't forget 8K means better 4K pixels.

8K 4:2:2 can create 4K 4:4:4. 4 pixels in to one creates better color and better detail.

Yes. Oversampling also improves S/N, increases detail and reduces artifacts. And a bunch of other esoteric stuff. 😊

I posted above, this is why TV and blockbuster movies frequently are filmed in everything from 6.5K to 8K RAW these days.

The Aeronauts, Dolemite is My Name, Hustlers, Two Popes, are a just few movies shot in 8K. Many more were shot in 6.5K. Even Parasite the Best Picture winner was shot in 6.5K.

Award willing TV shows like "The Morning Show" are also shot in 8K RAW.

Any resolution you want to capture in is fine with me!

Not just me, but the industry as a whole. Arri, Red, Panovision, BlackMagic, pretty much everyone is heading this direction.

I doubt we'll see a 4K GH6 or 4K Z-H2 either.

I've said as much. Panasonic has already announced plans to release an 8K camera, and Sony claims they're making their lenses to be able to meet the requirements of the next generation of 8K cameras. It's inevitable. Blackmagic is the only manufacturer to offer 12K RAW camera, whose files are able to be recorded directly an SSD, which can then be connected to a laptop and played back without any transcoding, and all that at what seems to be a very reasonable price. What they have done is a demonstration of the power of a single manufacturer designing the camera, the sensor, the codec and the NLE, something which no other company does.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow