1200mm: Digital Teleconverter

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
boxerman Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
Downsizing?

Henry Richardson wrote:

... I have found that if I then downsize the 20mp photo to 10-12mp on my computer it usually looks pretty darn good. For some images even the full 20mp looks good.

Why does the downsize look better, even sometimes? If there are no artifacts to average out, I don't know why the downsize would look better. (Except that sometimes you can/should sharpen higher res images more. People say that often enough for High Res mode on Olympus.)

I use DTC without fear in "emergencies," i.e., when the lens just doesn't have the reach. It's pretty much this, or lose the shot. Yes, you can crop in post, but it's much easier in-camera with other perks you get (more accurate metering and better view in the viewfinder.) I also suspect since the camera might do a little better than after-the-fact crop, but I can't offhand say why.

Here's a shot I got with my E-M5 (before pro-capture!), 75-300, DTC. Not suitable for large prints (as we often do), but nice enough to capture the moment I'll always remember.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow