1200mm: Digital Teleconverter

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,038
Re: Is The Digital Tele-Converter Feature In Your OMD Camera Worth Your While?

I used these in-camera features in all my Panasonic cameras (GX8, G7, GM5 and TZ110/FZ100), especially in videos as I dont PP my occasional video clips.

It is only JPEG but can be a convenient alternative to post-processing, and in video it is really a game changer.

Anyway, you better use a sharp lens, for instance I get better results from the 45-175PZ than from the 14-140.

With the ETC feature, the PZ lens also has the advantage of using the full sensor up to max optical FL, and then only starting to crop for more telephoto. Same with the power zoom in TZ110 (FZ100).

It also automatically extends the zooming range when you choose a smaller resolution, for instance 10MP in GX8 with 45-175 make believe you have a 45-245 (= 90-490 FF equivalent FL), and my TZ110 set at 10MP behaves like a 25-350 superzoom.

If you set in 5MP, the 45-175 goes up to 350 (=700 FF eq.) and the TZ110 behaves like a 25-500 FF eq.

I have not compared the respective IQ, but, IMO, this ETC seamless feature is more convenient than the digital zoom, which go further, but applies the crop factor 2X and 4X across the whole zoom range, hence you need to switch it off if you want to dezoom to the wide end.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow