Challenge: Your Favorite Storm Image (Just One, Please)

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 4,832
Glacier Peak Wilderness huge thunderstorm complex

I had moved my camp up onto a ridge top with the sky looking fine in late afternoon and a forecast of a slight chance of isolated thunderstorms when I left two days before. Soon after a significant thunderstorm formed and moved past tangentially to me about four miles away. For a little while during this I got out of my camp and moved downslope to a place I thought relatively safe protected by raingear. But about a half hour later another complex began to develop to my SE about ten miles away and I was concerned because the wind direction was from that direction. Shortly, it began to rain as the complex blew up rapidly. This was just before the storm began to hit my location. The storm with heavy rain for three hours and continuous lightning parked right above me to about one mile southwest. I could not move downslope because the heavy rain would have put me at risk of hypothermia so I stayed in my tent. Twice I felt ground shocks followed immediately by a nearby lightning flash. I was at pretty substantial risk but really had no options other than moving anything metal a good distance from my tent and putting insulation under me.

The complex started several wildfires a few miles to my east.

One fire started just beyond the green dome in the center of the picture. This picture was just before it started raining where I was.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow