This thread is locked.
jonpais
OP jonpais Senior Member • Posts: 2,926
Re: 6.5K to 8K the new standard.

Willow w wrote:

jonpais wrote:

Willow w wrote:

Don't forget 8K means better 4K pixels.

8K 4:2:2 can create 4K 4:4:4. 4 pixels in to one creates better color and better detail.

Yes. Oversampling also improves S/N, increases detail and reduces artifacts. And a bunch of other esoteric stuff. 😊

I posted above, this is why TV and blockbuster movies frequently are filmed in everything from 6.5K to 8K RAW these days.

The Aeronauts, Dolemite is My Name, Hustlers, Two Popes, are a just few movies shot in 8K. Many more were shot in 6.5K. Even Parasite the Best Picture winner was shot in 6.5K.

Award willing TV shows like "The Morning Show" are also shot in 8K RAW.

Any resolution you want to capture in is fine with me!

As long as the file sizes are manageable, media doesn't cost a fortune, it plays smoothly in the NLE and the camera can handle it.

I downloaded a few Blackmagic Ursa 12K clips the other day, no transcoding, no dropped frames, played as smoothly as my 100Mbps XAVC S footage. Colors were gorgeous, too. Best of all, it can be recorded directly to a tiny and relatively inexpensive SSD.

If anyone wants to deal with the record time limits, is okay with spending a small fortune on cards, even more on external hard drives, and has the money for a new computer, go for it.* Most here just seem interested in playing around with 8K, not using it for paid work, and that's okay too.

As far as RAW goes, I have never come across anyone who hasn't got lots of experience who knows how to grade it properly.

*I realize you can transcode the footage, but it'll still take a long time without the dedicated hardware decoding for HEVC 10-bit 4:2;2.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow