Old Olympus DSLRs: Internal Clocks and Firmware Updates

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 9,540
Old Olympus DSLRs: Internal Clocks and Firmware Updates

I installed the new FW updates for my E-M1 II and III today and after that decided to do some housekeeping with my old DSLRs: E300, E330, two E-30s and the E-5

Only my E-5 gets used these days, but I try to check the health of all of my BLM-1 and BLM-5 batteries - put some charge in the ones not in the cameras, and put fully charged batteries in the cameras in the hope of keeping their internal clocks alive.

Sadly it looks like the E-300 (which I bought new in 2005) has lost its internal clock
I'll keep it switched on overnight with a fresh battery and see how it goes, but the internal batteries don't usually come back from the dead. The other cameras seem to be  working perfectly

But while I was checking the E-5 I was very surprised to see that it only had firmware Ver.1.1
I don't recall why I never installed 1.2 or 1.3, but I wasted no time updating the camera to ver.1.3

With the sale of Olympus Imaging and possible service cutbacks coming I think it wise to make sure that your old cameras and lenses have the latest firmware versions installed.

Who knows whether or for how long the software/download/support for the discontinued products will be retained

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/

make the most of it while its still there

Peter

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow