Metering on White Egrets

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,329
Re: Metering on White Egrets

I've had fun watching how others approach this.  I do it two ways yet both are similar.  On a mirrorless where I can see the results I'm usually using compensation and adjusting by eye.  I then take a photo and check for the flashing highlight warning and move 1/3 stop at a time till it shows up and then dial back 1/3 from the warning.

On an SLR and sometimes on mirrorless and particularity when there is action I'll quote what Popular Photography printed from my interview with them.

I get the exposure as close as possible using a Sunny 16 equivalent in manual exposure.  I then adjust one click at at time till I get flashing highlight warnings.  Then I back off one click.  Most cameras default to 1/3 EV clicks and that's better than 1/2 EV clicks.  Once you are set up this works as long as your subject is in the same light.  This method avoids the issues of how much your subject fills the frame and also changing backgrounds.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow