Metering on White Egrets

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Metering on White Egrets

Rocket13 wrote:

Hello all, back for more tips. So I love shooting Egrets, I don't get to see them often so dont get to practice a ton on them. What I would like to know is how to meter on them to get the best detail out of them. I am sharing a recent shot just as reference. I understand I was not in a good position for the light but I didn't have options .

All depends on what metering mode you use, background and how prominent the Egret is in frame.
I tend to shoot mainly center weighted for birds (although my camera also has highlight protection metering mode) so with an Egret only taking up a fraction of the frame that generally means some negative EC needed, on the other hand one prominent in the frame generally means some positive EC needed.
How light/dark the background is determines how much EC is needed.

Up close with the bird taking up most of the metering area, positive EC needed

Only taking up a fraction of the metering area, negative EC needed

Though I do "cheat" like mad and shoot EVF cameras so I have a live histogram and also if I want it blinkes in the viewfinder, plus I can see the exposure even before taking the shot.

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony a99 II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow