EOS R 5. Really better "Canon Colors"?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
EOS R 5. Really better "Canon Colors"?

I love Canon colors and I will move back to Canon in the future sooner than later...

I just wanted an EOS R with IBIS.

Now with the new cameras I am very excited, but I am not that sure about Canon being improving the colors...

I played with the studio RAWs posted here in Dpreview for the R5 and R6, and whilst the R5 has the best global accuracy when trying to make a calibrated profile with Lumariver profile designer, the R is still more accurate when looking at skintones alone. The R6 is somewhat in the middle, its CFA is not as globally accurate as the R5, but seems better than the R (but still, not better for skintones). This is with a calibrated profile under the same illuminant with the same program, where you can check the color accuracy of the different patches, etc.

Then yesterday I watched this video:

I downloaded the raw files myself and played with them in Lightroom.

With the Same settings, the R5 files are between 2/3 and 0.75 stops underexposed compared to the R files.

To my eyes, the noise and dynamic range is very comparable between the two cameras.

And the Colors, using the Adobe Color profile on both cameras and equalising the white balance (the default WB is a bit off, and actually in AUTO in Lightroom the R works better to my liking) I find the R skintones better. The R5 is a bit too magenta on the skin, reminds me of my Sony. The R has a more beautiful brown on his skin.

Then of course, with the R you have the Camera Standard profile, that is not available in the new Canon cameras, and that is far superior to the Adobe profiles...

What do you think? Are really the new cameras an improvement in Colors? To me, I think that Canon is weakening more and more their CFA to match Sony's DR and low noise, but the colors are little by little losing the Canon magic (at least in RAW).

Also, I tried to apply my favourite preset by AFFOB in both raws (the preset use the Adobe Standard profile), and with the R files the preset works nicely, with really nice saturation in the dark parts of the skin, and lower in highlights, and with the R5 the preset works more similar to my Sony raw files, with a very flat saturation profile all over the picture...

I think I might be getting again an EOS R soon, I LOVED the colors out of that camera when I had it, and I was only missing the IBIS.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +6 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow