Does it make sense to swap out a 7dMkII and Eos R for an R6?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Look595Rider New Member • Posts: 10
Does it make sense to swap out a 7dMkII and Eos R for an R6?

I'm a hobbyist photographer.  I mostly photograph family, friends, etc. and vacations.  Often shooting pics of my young kids who are very active and enjoy a variety of sports (swimming, biking, tennis, softball).  I've had a 7dMkII for years that served me well, but picked up an EOS R with the RF24-105 last year at a great price (holiday sale coupled with significant employer discount).  I've always enjoyed the 7dII for its speed, but the low light performance was unimpressive.  The Eos R has in turn been great for indoors shooting and I love the eye AF, but the low FPS has been disappointing.

I'm considering selling both the 7dII and the Eos R and picking up an R6.  The combine sales price would put me fairly near the price of the R6.  I know I'd appreciate the speed, and it would be nice to have a one camera kit, but I'm a little hesitant to move back to 20MP from the R's 30.  I rarely print large, but with the kids running around, I don't always frame things perfectly and it's nice to have the ability to crop that the R affords me.  Do you think I'd really notice the drop from 30 to 20MP?  Or is this a no brainer and should I be moving the 7dII and Eos R while they're still worth something?  I'd ideally love the R5, but the extra $1300 is not justifiable for me.

Look595Rider's gear list:Look595Rider's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +4 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow