Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
WryCuda Forum Pro • Posts: 10,210
Re: Are Cheap Monitors Really "Cheap"?

Batdude wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Batdude wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

4. color gamut ($$$$)

[Acer R240HY $109] Wow that's a low price. As I said, I have been looking at the more expensive BenQ SW270C but to be honest I have no clue what I'm actually paying for...

BenQ SW270C is wide gamut, 99% Adobe RGB, see #4 above.

I'm not too interested in that $100 Acer monitor, I'm more interested in the Viewsonic VP2468 or VP2768 and both these seem to be pretty much the same as the BenQSW270C in the gamut department, even the less expensive BenQ cost more than the Viewsonic.

So, what exactly am I paying for if I go for the BenQ, am I only paying more for the name? Don't tell me that fancy shield hood on the BenQ is costing me $500 alone?

With the more upmarket monitors, you're likely to to get a greater variety of input ports.

My most expensive monitor has DP, HDMI, DVI, while a cheapie that I bought some years ago has VGA only.

Better monitors are also likely to have height and angle adjustments for the stand with a generally better "quality" look.

The cheaper monitors quite often have infuriatingly obtuse push-button controls for screen adjustment, and a feature of this is a very short default cycle time before the menu mode is cancelled.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow