Is the Canon EOS R a 1 and done

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,625
Re: Is the Canon EOS R a 1 and done

sportyaccordy wrote:

Glenn Haley wrote:

I use a EF 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens on an RP with adapter and get very nice results. Could you explain to me why an R FF MILC pancake lens would not perform well?

I have the 40mm too. With an adapter it's not a pancake lens anymore. It's like 45mm long in total. An RF mount lens the size of the EF 40mm would either have a very short focal length (aka ultra wide angle) or need to be a retrofocal design. Neither of which work well without a ton of corrective elements.

It would be a telephoto, not a retrofocus lens.  The Olympus mju (Stylus) cameras had 35mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 full-frame telephoto lenses which would only protrude 10mm beyond the RF mount, if you could adapt them.  They made excellent enprints from colour negative film, but were not up to the standard you'd expect from even a 1" sensor digital camera.

We have seen MILC pancake glass for Sony E and Fuji X. The Sony 16/20mm lenses range from terrible to mediocre and they only cover an APS-C image circle. Fuji 18mm is better, but still not great. Samyang has a FF 24/2.8 which is small but no pancake, and it has a lot of problems. Sharp, but extreme vignetting. The way I see it, if it were possible to have made a decent short flange pancake lens we would have seen it by now.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow