Color Space for scans

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,184
Need to know to convert! Also ...

Firstly NEVER assign a profile. Always convert TO a profile. I can not see why you would want such a high pixel count file for printing , I would think it could become more of a hassle than an advantage.... unless of course your prints are going over a very large hoarding.

Yeah, I realized later there is a difference between assign and convert, so I converted

You cannot properly convert to a color space without first knowing (or having the scan file tell the software) what color space it's in to start with, that is, from what color space you're converting. IMO the must-do item is to ask the service that scans your art what color space they're saving it it. If they aren't aware of color spaces, then IMO look for a new service.

Assuming that they are saving it in a color space that the service that prints it can use, I see no reason to convert to a different color space unless you're performing edits that will substantially change the color. If they scan to sRGB and that clips your art's colors, then your converting from sRGB to e.g. ProPhoto RGB is not going to restore those colors.

In a similar way, an 8-bit TIFF is every bit as good as a 16-bit TIFF for printing. The extra bits are only helpful if you will perform edits that substantially change the color and/or lightness.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow