RO109-1A - adapted to m42

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
backsidewalkaround Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: RO109-1A - adapted to m42

I bought the lens from a Russian seller fully adapted (using the body of an old Minolta lens) to M42 in 2016. I haven't used it all too much since, but I remember liking the results quite a bit (I'm simply always too busy using my newest acquisitions :-)). I like the lens and its character as well as the bokeh very much and I think it is usable for fullframe if you're willing to crop, most certainly you can use it on APS-C without much of a loss, depending at what distance it's used of course. 
Sjak is right, you'd need to compose your images so that you use the sweetspot in the center, which can be a good thing. The other properties of the lens will all point to your subject there. Sharpess will fall off substantially, also there will be a strong swirl.

I created a preset in Lightroom to get rid of most of the distortion from the lens and also to crop the usable part of the image. I'll show the samples I took back then (some cropped some not). I also show what the preset did by two screenshots that demonstrate what part of the image i was finally using. Remember, these are all on a fullframe Sony A7. Most images have been edited to some degree:

backsidewalkaround's gear list:backsidewalkaround's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow