Olympus 100-400mm F5-6.3 vs Olympus PRO 40-150mm F2.8 + teleconverter

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Auf Reisen Contributing Member • Posts: 814
Re: Olympus 100-400mm F5-6.3 vs Olympus PRO 40-150mm F2.8 + teleconverter

valerio18 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions/comments!

Additional questions about the oly 75-300, I know that it can be a good alternative.. can it produce a good enough image? (at least on the level of oly 14-150 is sufficient for me)

I tried to find some reviews online but I can't find a lot about it😅

Yes, it is about on par with the 14-150. It is also much better in the 75-200 range than it is in the 200-300 range. It is also much better for close subjects.

That said, I have often been frustrated with the lens. It can produce good pictures if you are reasonably close, but it is not great at the long end for far-away subjects. And it is very hard for amateurs to get pleasing results with the lens because telephoto technique is tricky. Especially with such a light lens.

Here is what you can expect for close subjects:

OOC Jpeg

There is enough detail there and some room for working the files in post, but it is not on par with what I have seen coming out of the more expensive lenses. Also do keep in mind that this is about a 1-in-200 shot for an amateur of my skill level. You can get better ones in better light and with better framing (and I have), but I wanted to give you a somewhat realistic expectation.

But for every acceptable shot like the one above, I get about a 100 of these:

OOC

I have tried everything in situations like this. Tripod, monopod, handheld. Shutter speeds from 1/50 to 1/2000. Autofocus, manual focus. It doesn't matter. I even magnified to 8x while on a tripod while dialing in manual focus. People keep telling me this is a focusing issue, it is not. So in tricky situations like this, where you are a tad too far away and where you have a distracting background and some heat haze/air distortions over water, forget it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AVG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow