Z80, 85mm DX Micro, and tiny bugs in my garden

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZapperVT Regular Member • Posts: 429
Z80, 85mm DX Micro, and tiny bugs in my garden

So this afternoon I had enough of working at home due to Covid and took a break practicing macro photography in my yard with my Z50, FTZ, and 85mm DX micro.

The 85 DX micro is a great companion to the Z50: small (3.88" / 98.5 mm long), light (12.52 oz / 355 g), and inexpensive (I paid $344 for a used one). It has VR and AF for impromptu hand-held macro photography on the go. It may not be the sharpest micro Nikkor but it's still very sharp, and it's not the lens of choice for serious macro photography who manual focus on a tripod and use studio flash. But it's a great addition to a Z50 travel kit.

Shooting macro handheld outdoors is hard and I'm still trying to figure it out. I don't have the steadiest hands, the wind was blowing the leaves and the bugs were moving. VR helped but I still needed 1/125s or 1/250s shutter speed to get some sharp photos. The improved subject tracking in firmware 2.00 struggled mightily to keep up with all motion. There was no way to get a single shot in focus with high probability - I resorted to holding down the shutter button and taking 10 or 20 frames to get 1 good one. There is no way I could have taken good shots without the AF, and the VR and subject tracking helped greatly.

This is not the kit for a National Geographic photographer, but it's great fun for taking on a hike or a trip. All the photos were taken near the maximum magnification. Open the original size photos and zoom in to get an idea of the detail this lens can deliver, despite my lack of skill.  All photos straight out of the camera except the dragonly, that one was raw converted in Capture NX-D with default settings.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Casio Exilim EX-Z80 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow