HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jayrandomer
jayrandomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,052
Gear snobbery isn’t limited to just stereos and cameras

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I listen to music. I take pictures. I have a natural love of both. What is similar?

- snobbery as to the quality of the gear itself. - constant pursuit of an elusive goal.

( headphones with the rare earth cones blah blah. Lenses with the fluorite elements and the red dot camera.) No judgment on what one drives or shoots, but some do make such judgment. It is what it is.

nearly everything that is made has a subcultural that is very discriminating in its tastes  The same case could be made for wines, or guns, or knives, or cars, or musical instruments, or woodworking tools, or televisions, or typewriters, or computers, or really anything.

Ideally, cameras are used to make something. They are tools.  They are used to create something. Stereos are not tools. At least not in the creative sense. They are used to reproduce something creative someone else has made.  That’s what I was getting at.

Of course, if your main concern is that people are more interested in the object itself than its usefulness as a tool, I understand the connection better.

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow