Complementary body and lens for wildlife

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
djd97 Regular Member • Posts: 150
Complementary body and lens for wildlife

I occasionally go on hikes with my Z6 and 70-300 AF-S which I've had since I bought my D7000 about 10 years ago. I thought about replacing the 70-300 with a Tamron/Sigma 100-400, but for a combination of reasons (not wanting to invest in F-mount lenses and being too large/heavy) I decided not to. The 100-400 S will solve one of those problems, but will still probably be too heavy and also likely cost more than I'm willing to pay.

I've been thinking about maybe adding a M4/3 camera and something like a Panasonic 100-300 Power II into the mix. M4/3 also sounds nice since something like that 100-300 will give me far more reach than I would otherwise possibly get reasonably with my Z6. Something like a used GX85 seems like a really nice cheap compact setup, although it's also possible I might find the ultra compact design uncomfortable to use (obviously it would need to be something I play around with).

My planned use will be a mix of whatever wildlife I come across on hikes or really anything else that I find interesting (flowers, trees, etc...). I don't really want to go all out here, so I would like to try to stay on the cheaper side of things. Since it will also be a second camera, I think I would also prefer to stay on the smaller side as well since I might be able to have it serve a dual purpose of being more readily available (hence the thought of a GX85).

Given that wildlife is a large part of the intended use case, AF performance is important. Also, I shoot RAW, but really don't find myself interested in editing, so generally just perform a direct conversion to JPEG.

I know next to nothing about M4/3, so here I come for some advice.

djd97's gear list:djd97's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow