HiFi-High Fidelity in Photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,710
Re: The not out of bounds analogy. There is a connection .

bill winslow hansen wrote:

Gerry Siegel wrote:

bill winslow hansen wrote:

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I listen to music. I take pictures. I have a natural love of both. What is similar?

- snobbery as to the quality of the gear itself. - constant pursuit of an elusive goal.

( headphones with the rare earth cones blah blah. Lenses with the fluorite elements and the red dot camera.) No judgment on what one drives or shoots, but some do make such judgment. It is what it is.

Elitism and nothing more than that .

I understand it better. Now.

When I was a wee teen shelving books at Copley library, officious supervisor asked me what I shot with back then. A half frame no name well scuffed that I bought at a pawn shop.

Hmm , "well I shoot with Linhof." Ach du lieber. Himmelherrgottkreuzdonnerwetter , we bow reverently. Funny looking back.

And yet, and yet, bigger is still better- what do you know?.

I’ve heard all kinds of stuff.

I’ll be out shooting with a cheap camera with a adapted thrift store lens .

Someone will inevitably poo poo it .

I couldn’t be assed .

Some people clean their lenses more than they click the shutter .

Some people write down opinions more than they click .

Reminds me of the first camera club I attended at 19, with a new Canon AE1 which I had worked an entire summer job to pay for. They seemed far to busy shooting still life shots to show off their Leica and Hasselblad lenses than take picture of anything interesting.

A very old friend of mine is  sound engineer in a recording studio. He listens to music on his iPhone, because he finds a good sound system distracting. All he can hear are the screw ups made by the recording studio.

And, as he pointed out, live music is much worse acoustically, but sounds better simply because it has all the dynamics of the musicians playing together and improvising, mistakes and all.

He actually has a degree in music and plays session in his spare time, but he makes far more steady money behind the desk than in front of the mike.

-- hide signature --

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow