50mm f2 vs 56mm f1.2 vs. 50-140mm f2.8 (or maybe just 35mm f1.4)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: 50mm f2 vs 56mm f1.2 vs. 50-140mm f2.8 (or maybe just 35mm f1.4)

JupiterRising wrote:

That said, I will probably hold off on it for now. The 100-400mm would probably suit wildlife snaps better than the 50-140mm, and, despite being even bigger, has OIS and WR too (though its > 2.8).

The choice is difficult, especially given the fact that 99% of my perspective comes from these forums and YouTube reviews. As some posters have recommended, I am leaning towards trying to balance my perspective with some actual field work so that I can make a more informed decision deriving from more than a few walks of neighborhood photos' in experience. The choice is just too difficult without the hands-on experience as to what would be the best focal length for my purposes.

Seeing all the wonderful photos on the forum really drive my excitement, but it's probably better to tame my pocketbook before spreeing on portrait, macro, and birding lenses just because I saw some sweet photos I'd like to be able to recreate myself.

This is an incredible display of GAS-resistance, and I applaud you, OP, for pulling it off.

As much as we love to jazz each other up on here, I can't foresee anyone thinking you made the wrong choice. If you invest what you'd spend on a new lens today, you could wait 10 years and have enough for 10 of them

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow